Comforting, healthy tortellini soup 🥣for dinner tonight, lunch tomorrow or a meal this weekend.
I made this soup for my husband and in laws this past weekend for lunch. Cooking for both parties can be somewhat intimidating, especially my ‘soup adverse’ husband. His reaction? “This soup is a definite keeper. We are going to make this all Fall/Winter. What’s not to like?!” 😳😂
Save this for when temperatures drop or you just need a cozy meal. Don’t we all need a little comforts right now?? Let me know if you make this soup and what you think!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package spicy chicken sausage, sliced & quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- Pinch of dried basil, oregano
- Tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock, 1 bouillon cube, 3 cups water
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (9-ounce) packages refrigerated spinach basil tortellini
- Couple handfuls of kale, stems removed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (I used micro basil!)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, onion and seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock, water, boullion cube and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tortellini; cover and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in kale until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, top with basil & fresh shaved Parmesan.
- Serve immediately!