Today it snowed in Chicago. Aside from Tiger Woods winning the Masters and the Game of Thrones final season premiere, it has to have been the most talked about topic over here in the Midwest. I used the snow as an excuse to forget about calories and whip up these sweet bars to indulge in. They’re perfect for those prime TV viewing moments and for drowning dreary Spring weather woes.
I fully admit that I am not a baker. I usually avoid baking all together, but this recipe is so simple! It really only requires measuring, melting, stirring, pouring and voila, you have an easy treat to enjoy in no time at all. I cut bars into extra small slices to bring with me to work and spread the joy. The sugar content is quite high and has my heart racing a bit, so I figured why not share the goods? Let me know if you make these! And oh yes, I substituted milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet as I don’t like the bitterness that comes with semisweet. Enjoy!
- 6 Cups Corn Flakes
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups Nestle semisweet chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate Ghiradelli chips!)
- Grease 9×13″ pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix syrup, peanut butter, honey and sugar all together in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until it starts to slightly bubble, being careful not to burn the peanut butter
- Take off the heat and mix in the corn flakes
- Spread the mix into the pre-prepared pan
- Melt chocolate chips in microwaveable bowl in :30 increments, stirring in between
- Spread chocolate on top of the corn flake mixture
- Place in refrigerator to cool for 2 hours. Cut and enjoy! Keep any uneaten bars refrigerated.