While prepping for our wedding, creating healthy habits and implementing new beauty routines were a priority for me. Every Wednesday for the next few weeks, I’ll share my #SavageSix tips and products I used for various areas of my self-care. You can apply some or all of these tips as part of your New Year goals and resolutions!
One area of my daily routine that has seriously been lacking for years is my facial skincare. The main issue is that I had been really lazy about washing my face at night. (Kind of juvenile, I know.) 😉 I would wash my face while showering in the morning, but come nightfall, I was simply not interested. So more times than not I’d skip it and only remove my eye makeup. Or if I was REALLY being ‘good’, I’d use a face wipe and call it a day. I’m no esthetician, but I would imagine that this is actually the most important time of the day to really wash your face well and apply product. So I made a promise to myself that for the two months leading up to my wedding, I would suck it up and lather up before bed. Here are the tips/products I relied on to get glowing for the big day. Hint: I ended up loving my routine and am still following it daily!
I discovered this Amore Pacific Treatment Enzyme Peel right at Summer’s end at Sephora. I. Love. This. Product. It’s really a gentle exfoliating powder that pours out just the right amount of product and lathers up quickly as claimed to “remove dead surface skin cells gently and even skin tone for a radiant complexion.” I really noticed a difference pretty quickly after adding this into my morning shower routine, and brought it with me while traveling as well. Since it’s a powder and not a liquid, it’s travel friendly (or you could go with the mini-size!) Since it’s in powder form, it’s kind of fun to apply as well!
About two months before the wedding I started seeing a professional to round out my routine. I am not one to pay for regular facials, but it really was worth it for me. If for no other reason it was nice to have someone consult me on products and help give my skin an extra boost. She recommended the following first 2 additions to my skincare routine, the other 4 are personal favorites.
Savage Six Favorite Skincare Products
- Vitamin C Serum I am in my mid-30’s (sigh) so at this point a lot of focus on my skincare is focused on brightening my skin and smoothing my complexion. After getting out of the shower in the morning, I apply one or two pumps and then layer on my facial cream.
- NeoCutis BioCream First off, this is a pretty pricey facial cream. If it weren’t for such a special occasion, I likely would have skipped it in favor of something more affordable. I used two pumps leading up to the wedding and now I only use one to conserve the rest of the product I have. My esthetician, Kate, highly recommended it for its anti-aging (womp womp) and rejuvenating nutrients. It actually has skin cell proteins in it to help skin appear ‘more youthful’ and reduce wrinkles, so I splurged. I would love to hear your face cream recommendations, otherwise I might stick with what worked!
- Amore Pacific Treatment Enzyme Peel As I described above, this is a new absolute favorite of mine! If I could only buy one or two things on this list, this and the next one would be my top picks. Not to mention I first bought this in August and I am still using the same bottle. Definitely worth the money in my mind!
- FRESH Black Tea Firming and De-Puffing Eye Cream I had actually used the FRESH Lotus Eye Gel for a few years after it was recommended to me by the now Vogue Beauty Editor while I was living in NYC, Celia Ellenberg. (We worked together at the now defunct Style.com!) Anyway, I really like this Black Tea version, which has some caffeine in it. It really helps de-puff and lighten the area around my eyes. My girlfriend Laura, swore by it and now I do as well.
- La Roche Posay Hydrating Gentle Cleanser I bought this on a whim one day when it was 20% off at Target. I like to go for anything that is ‘gentle,’ and my face didn’t feel too dry after using it. This is the face wash I use at night. It comes in a tall pump bottle which makes it easy-to-use, I keep it out next to my sink. After I wash and dry my face, I apply the FRESH eye cream and then alternate between lotion and the next product, a facial oil throughout the week.
- FRESH Seaberry Moisturizing Facial Oil This is a product I have been using for years. I would be careful if your skin is acne prone, as you are literally applying oil to your face. Leading up to the wedding I would apply this every couple of days. It’s super hydrating and great when your skin is feeling particularly parched. Year round I especially love using it in the winter or after a long flight to give my skin a boost of hydration.
Beyond products, I also mapped out with ‘skin lady Kate’ that I would come in for treatments every 3 weeks. That timeline is aggressive and expensive, but now that the wedding is behind me, it will be more like a visit every couple of months. The first appointment we did a radiant cleansing facial, the next we did a chemical peel and the last one was another radiant cleansing facial a week before the wedding.
As far as the actual treatments themselves, holy mackerel, I will tell you that the chemical peel is NOT for the faint of heart! It stung which wasn’t really a big deal, but the recovery was a few days as the dead skin peeled off. Honestly I was pretty self-conscious about it, but there isn’t much you can do other than keep it hydrated. And I was really happy with the results, my skin looked smoother and brighter and more refreshed. Moving forward I will likely stick with maybe 1-2 chemical peels a year and bi-monthly radiant facials.
And that’s it! With the exception of a few days over the Holiday break, I have actually been pretty good about maintaining the routine post-wedding. I’m sure most of you are much more regimented with your skincare than I was, but if nothing else my advice would be to wash your face and apply good products nightly. For me, it has made all of the difference!
What are your favorite products/skincare habits? Comment or email me anytime at SavageSentiments@gmail.com.