Prior to the pandemic, I NEVER packed my lunch. I’m ashamed to admit I would easily shell out a cool $10-15 to nab my go-to Sweet Green salads on the regular. Since we’ve been at home I will freely admit I rarely have the patience or ingredients on-hand to make my salad over lunch. I suppose all of the produce washing, prepping and chopping came at a price for a reason!
My daily weekday lunch still includes plenty of greens and fresh ingredients, but it’s easier and more enjoyable for me to prepare. Easy food assembly at it’s finest! Hats off to you all of you meal preppers, I am not sure if it’s that I don’t have the energy to chop and store everything in advance, but for some reason I also don’t think it tastes as good. This lunch is my compromise on convenience and healthy!
Easy Avocado Toast & Simple Side Salad
- Toast 1 slice of your favorite bread until light brown. I like 7 grain or multi-grain, something my 1 year old daughter can eat as well. Store in the fridge to extend its shelf life.
- Smash 1 avocado directly onto toast. I eat a whole avocado at a time (I firmly believe they are awesome for your skin!) but if you only eat half, save the pit with the leftover avocado to keep it from browning as quickly and also store in the fridge.
- Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon on the avocado. Any leftover lemon goes in my water or in a baggie in the fridge.
- Top with a fried egg, usually with a little melted cheddar on top. The extra protein helps me stay fuller, you could totally skip this step!
- Sprinkle Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel seasoning on top. You could of course just use a little s&p.
- Side salad – I keep a big container of mixed greens in the fridge washed and ready to go. I throw some on the plate and drizzle with either Brianna’s dressing or Ina Garten’s simple salad vinaigrette
I often eat with a couple of clementines or a Honeycrisp apple on the side. What’s your favorite at-home lunch?